I have been about working on my UFOs for Susan of Blackberry Creek's UFO challenge for this year. I promise, I am going to get back on it this weekend, because I want to finish that one quilt I made so much progress on and practice some FMQing on it. This is because I'm almost done with the house quilt, and I may want to quilt it myself. I figure I better practice on something else first. More on all that later. I wanted to post something this week, however, to get me back in the habit of being concerned about UFOs and holding myself accountable to making UFO progress each week. Hope this is okay.
How about a little UFO update on our house? We had big plans for this summer to continue remodeling. But we have made NO progress with all our traveling, etc. We're hoping to finish up some pretty big projects before school starts. Here is what's on tap:
- Finish pulling up that front sidewalk and the stumps from the bushes we cut down.
- Pull up the stumps from the bushes we cut down in the back.
- Replant some...the rest will wait until spring.
- Pour new sidewalk (we decided to go with concrete) and a pad in the back for hot tub (YAY! Can't wait to get that hooked back up before winter!)
- Get electrician out to wire hot tub.
- Gut and totally refurbish at least one bathroom.
- (This one is a maybe.) Gut ant totally refurbish other bathroom.
- Replace front door and door to garage.
- (This one I want to do, but I'm not sure it's on Papa Pea's list.) Paint inside of garage.
- Perhaps paint brick on front of house to match rest of house. (We're still thinking about this one. Papa Pea really hates to paint brick...high maintenance. But I think it's something that makes the house look dated and adds too many colors to the house. We both agree it would look better if painted. We'll see on that one. It would only take a few hours to do it...)
- Paint the back door to the garage.
That's a pretty ambitious list, isn't it? We figured we better start small and build some momentum again. So, I asked for this as a "warm up" activity:
"There are only two of them. The one on the right is broken, too. (My fault from a Christmas decoration I hung on it.) There are actually three, because there's another next to the back door from the garage. We can deal with that one later."
A much more updated look, don't you think so? The mounting hardware on this was bigger, so Papa Pea had to put up a piece of wood, cut into the siding to mount it flush, and everything. But it looks so much nicer. Now, we need to go back and get one more for that back door.
Today, Papa Pea is working on that big monstrosity in the back yard. To give you a sense of size, it's probably about 10 feet tall....from the ground to the top of that dish. Maybe more... It's comin' down, baby! I can't wait! We got the bolts off the part that sticks up and receives the signal. That was no easy task. They were rusted shut pretty good. But when we went to take it off, it was full of hornets and a big hornet's nest. So, Papa Pea sprayed it with some hornet killer, and we're letting it sit a bit. The smaller dish is our Internet receiver. Hopefully within a couple of weeks, we can take that down, too. I hope to have a new Internet solution by then. I think we're going to pour the hot tub slab somewhere between the two of them. I'd sort of like it about right where the smaller dish is. I'll update you later!
We started shopping for stuff to remodel the bathroom. That's a huge first step for us...getting the tile picked out, countertops, etc. For our guest bathroom downstairs, I am thinking something like this would be really cute as the new vanity. It comes with a solid surface countertop AND sink bowl! This one's a litle too narrow.
But you can see it comes in wider styles. Our current one is 36", so I think we'd go with this 37" model. I like how it looks like an antique piece of furniture and it would go nicely in our basement, I think. The price doesn't seem bad, considering that includes the solid surface counter top and sink, too. All we'd have to add are the fixtures. (Of course, it just kills Papa Pea to pay money for the cabinet, when he could build it himself. I'm going to let him build the one upstairs for our bathroom, I think, because it's an odd size...7 feet.)
Next step, get it ordered, pick out tile, and start the demolition!
Okay...so it wasn't a sewing UFO update. But these were definitely projects that needed to get done so we could move forward on our house plans.
I'll make sure to have a more quilterly UFO update next Friday!
Hope everyone has a great weekend! Sweet Pea and I are off to a quilt show in Grand Haven tomorrow, and then I'll take her to the beach there. Some spectacular beaches off Lake Michigan. Looking forward to it.
Until next time,