Thank you all for your comments and suggestions on the siding issue. The jury is still out, but here's how I'm leaning....put siding on that's the same color as the house/shed.
- 'Cause I'm really chicken about stuff like this.
- 'Cause I tend to be really (overly) conservative on color choices for the big stuff (siding, carpet, couches)
I loved the idea of maybe changing up the texture by finding some siding that looks like shake singles for the addition. I think that might be nice. I am going to look into changing the trim and shutter color. I have been contemplating changing the shutter colors for a while. A few months ago, I even went on Sherwin Williams' website, uploaded a photo of our house and started playing with colors. I want to change the color of our front door, too. No decision yet. Someday, if we reside the house in green (which I hope we do), then we can just redo it all then. But just siding the addition will save money and leave more for the INSIDE, which many of you were helpful in keeping my focus there. So, thanks!
And onto something more fun and quilty!
You might remember a while back that I was considering finally starting a quilt for Papa Pea's and my bed. The quilt pattern is called Eldon, and it's by Edyta Sitar. I blogged how my friend Buffie had completed hers (click here and scroll down to the end of the post to see it). You might also remember I said I was feeling a little bit intimidated by it, because the pattern says it's for the "experienced" quilter, or something like that. Well, I took it with me on retreat a few weeks back and got up the gumption to start it. Another person at the retreat was just starting it as well, and I figured if she can do it, so can I! LOL.
Well, guess what?! I did it! Here is my first completed block! I didn't finish it at retreat, but I did have about two-thirds of it done before I had to come home. I finished it this parst weekend. I really love it. I think it's so striking! And it is NOT THAT HARD! But I will admit, it is very TIME CONSUMING! Other than the strip sewing on the stars and log cabin blocks, everything is Y-seams. But those are not that hard. I kind of enjoy them. The log cabin blocks start with 1" strips (except the center, which is 1.5"), so each log finishes at 1/2". The log cabin blocks finish at 4.5". So, you just have to sew your 1/4" seams accurately. If you sew just a smidgen too wide, your blocks are way to small when the blocks are this small and there are so many seams. But everything fit together pretty nice. I'm happy with it. I didn't mean for the log cabin blocks to be so "matchy-matchy" with the star, but it does look nice. (Wait, didn't we just have this conversation about siding?!) In the pattern, the log cabin blocks are often fairly different than the center star. I may try go get some more variation in there.
Here is another star I finished at the retreat. I made these log cabin blocks this weekend. I have all eight of them done. They need to be inset into the star points. I tried to get less "matchy-matchy" on this one. I'm not sure I like the blue with this star. I may make anohter star to go with these blue log cabins and make new log cabins for this one. We'll see.
And here are two more stars I made while at retreat. The stars actually go together pretty quickly. I rwas really proud that all the star points met so nicely in the center. But you can't really tell, because the fabrics are all the same anyway. Oh well. I know the points are good!
The fabrics I'm using were actually part of a kit I bought the year before when I was at the retreat. As I'm putting things together, I'm thinking there isn't enough variety in the fabric....I'm feeling like I may need to add some of my own fabrics to give it some spice. Gee, maybe I'm growing up a little as a quilter, putting the big girl pants on, and mixing it up a bit! LOL.
To be honest, I think the hardest part about this pattern may actually be caused by the kit I'm using. The pattern has you cutting 17" strips of the lights into various lengths for the lights in the log cabins. In my view, if you are trying to cut the quilt all at once, the cutting instructions are just a little confusing. It's hard to tell what's going to go where. What would be easier would be if you just had a whole bunch of light 1" strips cut to various lenghts, threw them in bags, and grabbed randomly from them. I think I'm going to cut up my lights like that and just go for it. It seems like for this quilt, the scrappier the better. So, in some ways, having the kit actually makes that more challenging.
Seeing as I've gotten this far in about a month of sewing (one block done), there are 15 more blocks to go, plus another nine sets of four log cabin blocks), I should have this quilt done in about five years! Ha!
Until next time,