Just a quick post today. Wow. Things have been crazy busy again around here again this past week. I feel like a broken record saying that. I had a random post drafted for everyone this week, but no time to even clean it up and get it out there for you. Well, maybe next time.
A few of you emailed me with suggestions for tutorials on the starch method of applique when I posted my Tea Leaves last week. Thank you! In case you were interested in a tutorial for how to prepare you fabric for applique using this method, here are some tutorials:
This is how Caroll does it, and it's how I do it, too:
And my good friend, Lynn, just happened to post a tutorial on the subject the other day. It's pretty much the same as what I do also:
Here are two other tutorials that are very similar:
Hope those are helpful to you!
I think I told you before that I've been holding out on you. Here's an example:
These are my blocks from the Cotton Club BOM I was doing (pattern from Bonnie Blue Quilts). I posted the blocks up through Month 3 (example here and here), I think. I also showed you how I was working on these at my retreat last February. I had gotten all caught up through Month 6 or something at that retreat. Then, I promptly fell behind again. In June, I managed to get all caught up again, and I stayed on track the rest of the summer. Either August or September was Month 12 (I've lost track now and am behaind again), which provided the instructions for assembling the quilt top. I have been working on getting this all assembled for at least a month now. As you can see, all the blocks are set on point. It has taken me a really long time to assemble this, but I did get the final two rows assembled this weekend, and I got the rows put together. Whew! This was a lot of work and a lot of points to match. Don't look to closely at them all. They aren't bad, but they could have been better.
I still have to put the outer borders on. However, the pattern did not say how wide to cut them. I tried emailing the designers but didn't hear back, so I'm still trying to find out from the shop I got this at what those measurements are.
These are the fabrics for the borders. You can see on the pattern there will be a small white border and a small dark brown border. Then, a wide border from this awesome stripe. I have to miter the corners on the stripe. That should be a fun challenge. I love this stripe. It is incorporated into some of the blocks. I'll show you....
I'll show you a few of my favorite blocks in here. They were some of the most challenging. For example this block was quite fun. The blocks are 5.5" unfinished. So, the little four patches in there are around 1.5" total. Those little red squares are small. And NONE of this was paper pieced. It was a good exercise in precision. Incidentally, this block, according to the pattern, should be rotated so the stripes are running vertically. Oops. I'm leaving it as is. It doesn't matter!
I really enjoyed this BOM. But I'm glad it's done. I'm ready to move on to something else. This BOM gave me a sense of what it must be like to do a Farmer's Wife quilt, something I'd like to do but haven't gotten up the gumption to start it. This has 45 blocks in it. I think Farmer's Wive is more like 112. Whew! That's a lot of work!
I think this one will go in the same room as the Lincoln's Watch quilt. I think they will go well together...similar colors and similar style.
Well, I have got to get back to work. Just wanted to drop in and say hi! I had a productive weekend of sewing. I'll try to catch you up this week!
Until next time,