Earlier, I showed you my Summer Table Runner. The thing is, when you make it, you start with squares and cut the triangles from the squares. So, you end up with some odd-sized triangular scraps. They are too big to feel okay with throwing them away, but they're pretty strange sizes to use as well.
My friend, Brooke, made the same table runner. She blogged how she used her scraps to make a table runner here. Her scrappy table runner is in her Etsy shop here, if you are interested. You can see the odd sized triangles in the table runner she made from the scraps.
Also, I have a new book called Sunday Morning Quilts, written by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison. I love this book and will review it for you. But it is all about scrap quilting, and it has been giving me the urge to do a better job of using my scraps.
I have also been inspired by the 15 Minutes to Play project wiht Victoria Findlay.
So, I decided I was going to do something with these scraps. So, I just started randomly sewing them together to make "fabric." I would sew one to another, and then sew another on.... If I had raggedy points or edges, I just took my acrylic ruler, cut a straight line, and sewed another piece on. Occasionally, I even cut the whole thing apart and sewed one side to another side.
Here is an example of my "made" fabric, along with some of the scraps next to it. I made a piece big enough to cut a rectangle big enough for my project. I even used the big scrap that was left over to make more fabric and to cut another rectangle this same size for the lining of my project.
And here is what it became! A teeny tiny duffle bag. I am going to use it to put my cords in when I travel. I used one of the labels I had gotten from my label crew mailing on it. I think it is so stinking cute! I even had this turquoise ribbon with fishies on it that I used at each zipper end.
Here is the back side. The Lable Crew always comes with a label with your name on it. So, I sewed it on the other side of this, in case I ever misplace it. I might be too much label (combined with the one on the other side) for such a little tiny bag, but oh well!
Here is a shot of the inside of the bag. I wanted to show you that the bag is fully lined. I also used my "made" fabric for the lining. I don't know if you can tell, but if you look on the left hand inside corner, you might be able to see that even the raw edges are covered with a little binding. So, there are no raw edges inside.
I made this from a pattern called A Little Duffle Do It, from For the Love of Fabric. (EDIT: If you want to access an immediately downloadable version of the pattern, click here.) I picked it up on a little mini shop hop I went on with Maureen a little while back (more on that soon). I really enjoyed sewing this little bag and am going to make another one. I plan to make more fabric and make a larger, matching one. The finished dimensions of this tiny one are 4 x 2 x 2". The pattern also has Small (6 x 3 x 2"), Medium (7 x 3 x 3") and Large (8 x 4 x 4"). I love patterns that give me lots of options like that. The pattern was very easy to follow and very well written. The zipper was very easy to install, so don't let that intimidate you, even if you are a beginner. The instructions even tell you what foot to put on your machine, how to position the needle, and lots of tips to help this turn out well. The bottom of the box is made stiff with Peltex, so there is some body to the bag. There is no batting inside, which is really helpful in reducing bulk. The sewing is very easy. A couple of times, when I had to sew over quite a bit of bulk, it was a little tricky. But it was not bad. Given that this is the smallest bag, I imagine it's the most difficult to sew. When you sew up the side seams, for example, they are small, and there's bulk to get under the needle. But it went together without a hitch. The larger ones would probably be even easier to sew. I found that when you sewed the side seams, if you just followed the pattern tips and squished down the bag bottom (again, which is stiffer), it worked great.
The pattern author does mention it's a good idea to use a nondirectional fabric for this project. I think this would be important, as the outside of the bag is one piece of fabric. So, if you had words, for example, they'd be upside down on one side of the bag and not on the other. My scrappy look worked quite well!
I would classify this as an advanced beginner to early intermediate pattern. It's great, and I can't wait to make more. I bet these would sell really well at your guild's sales, Christmas craft fairs, etc. I think this entire bag took about an hour to make (not counting "making" my fabric, which probably took another hour).
And by the way, this was a great opportunity to use one of the new zippers I ordered. Zipit was having a great sale. Fifty 14" zippers in a variety of colors for about $23. (Click the link to go to their Etsy listing for the zippers.) I recently was trying to make something late at night and didn't have the color of zipper I needed. I ordered these so I'd have a variety of zippers to choose from. I just love this rainbow package! Also included was a color card of all their zippers, which was helpful, and a little zipper pull they make (and which I love--I blogged those here). It was hard to choose a color, because so many went nicely with the project. In the end, I chose navy blue. I like how it constrasted and went with the fabric.
**Note: I purchased the pattern and all the supplies for this project with my own money.
Hop you like what I did and that you found the pattern review helpful. I had a ton of fun with this project.
Until next time,