My Lucky Charms quilt project (click the link to access the free pattern) from Pat Sloan is FINISHED! It is quilted and bound! It's actually been done for about a week now, but I've been too busy to get it all together to show you.
What do you think? I'm really pleased with it. I think the pattern is cute, and one of my favorite things is I get to look at all my Chocolat fabrics by 3 Sisters (Moda) up on the wall instead of in a pile in my sewing room! Thank you, Pat, for such an awesome pattern! She also has an applique alternative that is flowers if you don't want to make it a Christmas quilt. I am thinking I might make this with completely different fabrics and a different center (maybe the flowers) for spring. Have to think about that one!
Even though it was small, I sent it out for quilting. Cheryl French, a gal I met through my guild here and through my other friend, Cheryl (the one who made the spectacular baby quilt), quilted it for me I love the detail quilting she did in the center. I also asked her to quilt on the holly leaves to give them some veins. I am very pleased with what she did. Thank you, Cheryl! After it was bound, I washed it, and I really love how the brushed cottons look now after washing. Even better than before. Don't they look like wool?!
And she made the prettiest fleur de lis in the outer sections. See, this is why I hire a quilter. Because I never would have thought of doing something like this in the outer parts, and I really like it.
Maybe you can see them better here. And I like the swirlies in the bricks.
Just when I was trying to figure out what I'd use on the back, the Fat Quarter Shop posted a Twitter special on some fabric, also by 3 Sisters...50% off. I looked at it and fell in love. It is very close to the Chocolat line in color and style. So, I got a couple of charm packs. I noticed one of the fabrics was this red fabric with holly berries on it. So, I got a yard and ahalf of that for the back, too. What a steal! It's great.
Remember these buttons I bought on eBay for $3?
Well, I also got these for something like $6. I was thinking that the center of the quilt looked a little bare and needed something. I thought about beads, but thought that might be too bright and shiny for the quilt. So, I was going to try a vintage button. I tried a variety of these. None of them is quite right. So, I haven't put anything on yet.
I did see some other fantastic buttons on eBay. They are red, glass, Czech, and have the same fleur de lis on them that Cheryl put in the quilt!!! They are fantastic, but pretty expensive. And I'm worried the red might not be quite right. So, I'm still thinking. Open for suggestion!
I still don't have the quilt labeled (bad girl). I think I'm going to call it Home for the Holidays for two reasons.
- There are a lot of homespuns in the quilt, and they look "homey."
- To celebrate the fact that Papa Pea is back with us all the time this year. It has really been good to have him home!
So, I need to get it labeled. But, I do have the hanging sleeve on and it is hung up! (I know it's a little early for a Christmas quilt, but this doesn't scream Christmas, and I want to enjoy it!)
We have guild meeting next week, so I'll take it for show and tell. Yippee!
I'm trying a new hanging system. I'll show you that next week.
Check back tomorrow for my book review of The Practical Guide to Patchwork. I recieved all the copyright permissions I needed yesterday, so the post is ready to go!
Until next time,